În timpul liceului (și acum), eram destul de clovn.
I had quite a theatrical English teacher one year – his name was Mr. Morgan. Most of my time with Mr. Morgan was spent outside the classroom because I couldn't appreciate Shakespeare. It drove Mr. Morgan crazy.
Odată, când domnul Morgan a întrebat, cu accentul său plin de Yale-ish, ce tipuri de tehnici literare a folosit Shakespeare în Hamlet, am ridicat mâna cu nerăbdare.
Domnul Morgan oftă: „Da, domnule Karr?”
„Oximoroni”, i-am răspuns.
„Oximoroni?” dronă domnul Morgan, „Știi chiar ce este un oximoron, domnule Karr?”
“Sure!” I said, “It's the juxtaposition of antithetical terms in an expression, Mr. Morgan.”
Though I was correct, Mr. Morgan still couldn't grow to appreciate my sense of humor and he showed me the door. It did get quite a laugh from the class (after the initial gasp of hearing multi-syllable words coming from my mouth).
I've never forgotten the definition for an oxymoron… and I'm surprised at their excessive and, perhaps, growing usage when marketing technology today. If you want to sound like you have a really cool product or service, throw in an oxymoron into your marketing or technology presentation. It appears folks love it nowadays. In fact, quite a few of these are now in Geekipedia.
- Dezvoltare agila - Acei dezvoltatori sunt amuzanți. Lansarea este încă târzie.
- Interfața de programare a aplicațiilor - ca și cum aplicația se programează singură.
- Inteligenta Artificiala – it's not artificial, it's real.
- Alternative energetice - singura alternativă la energie este materia întunecată.
- URL prietenos – what's a mean URL?
- Radio pe internet – if it's on the Internet, it's not radio
- Laptop de 100 USD - energie? Acces la internet?
- Neutralitatea net - cineva a auzit vreodată Akamai or S3?
- User Interface – it's still for the computer, not me.
- Motor de Cautare de marketing – it's not marketing (sorry), it's placement.
- Integrare fără probleme – if it's integrated, it means there is a seam somewhere.
What's your favorite oxymoron?